Motorola Photon 4G root - rooting, & super user guides. You can also find ROMs, Hacks, Overclocking, related kernels, and other development topics. Feel free to ask questions or try and help out others. Remember, this section is is dedicated to rooting - development topics and all related general questions.
The Photon 4G is a high-end Android smartphone manufactured by Motorola and available through Sprint. It features a 1 GHz Tegra 2 processor, qHD display (540 x 960), and Motorola's integrated Webtop experience. The 2.3.5 update broke root access for a lot of rooted Photon 4G owners, and if you happen to be one of them, here's a step by step guide which help you regain superuser access on your phone. Rooting allows you to obtain super user access to your device so you can install apps and ROMs that you could not normally do. Super user access is required for custom ROMs, kernels, and apps that require root. This guide is based on XDA member edgan's Photon Torpedo exploit.
How To Root the Motorola Photon 4G
- Download and install the Photon 4G USB drivers on your PC. Reboot PC once after installation
- Make sure ADB is set up on your PC. You can use the guide linked above
- On your phone, download and install Superuser from the Play Store.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB debugging
- Download the Photon-Torpedo.tar file to your PC. Transfer it to the folder where ADB is located, which should be C:\Android-sdk\platform-tools if you have followed the setup guide correctly.
- Now connect your phone to PC via USB cable
- On your PC, open the C:\Android-sdk\platform-tools folder, and while holding the Shift key down, Right Click anywhere in the folder, and select Open Command Window Here from the right click menu
- Type in the following commands one by one, hitting Enter after each line. Make sure you don't make any errors with the spaces. To make things easier, you can just copy these one by one, and paste them into the command prompt
Note: You will get an error message after the /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.sh command. All you need to is simply type in the next command and hit Enter.adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp
/bin/tar xf /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.tar
- If you entered all the commands correctly, you should be done now. Disconnect your device and reboot it.
- Launch the Superuser app on your phone and update the binaries when prompted.
Congratulations!! Your Photon 4G is now rooted, and you can try out all those root-only apps you've wanted to. Enjoy your rooted device