• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Google Nexus 7 forums is a place to get support, talk about latest features, and connect with fellow owners for your phone. Feel free to ask questions or just gather the latest news or updates. Root and ROMs topics are discussed in this forumís subforum.

Photobucket

Nexus 7 similar to Kindle Fire?

Just from the looks of it, the Nexus 7 appears to be fairly similar to the Kindle Fire. They are both about the same size and price. How similar/different are they?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean
    There is one major difference between the two. The Kindle Fire is a pure Amazon device that is deeply ingrained with Amazon's services and app store. You'll not be able to access the Google Play Store or any of the Google services such as Google+, Gmail, and the like without rooting and Romming the Fire.

The Nexus 7 is a pure Google device. You'll receive OS updates quicker as Google releases them. You can access All things Google and a great majority of Amazon. Just by downloading the Amazon apps you can read your books and listen to your music. What you won't be able to do is watch your Amazon purchased videos or if you’re a Prime member, those options are still at this time unavailable.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Galaxy View Post
    There is one major difference between the two. The Kindle Fire is a pure Amazon device that is deeply ingrained with Amazon's services and app store. You'll not be able to access the Google Play Store or any of the Google services such as Google+, Gmail, and the like without rooting and Romming the Fire.

The Nexus 7 is a pure Google device. You'll receive OS updates quicker as Google releases them. You can access All things Google and a great majority of Amazon. Just by downloading the Amazon apps you can read your books and listen to your music. What you won't be able to do is watch your Amazon purchased videos or if you’re a Prime member, those options are still at this time unavailable.
    If that is the only major difference, it sounds to me as if it boils down to whether you are a bigger Amazon fan or a bigger Google fan. I think you can do a lot more with Google than you can with Amazon though, so if it were me, I would probably go with the Nexus for the same price. Just my opinion.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    If that is the only major difference, it sounds to me as if it boils down to whether you are a bigger Amazon fan or a bigger Google fan. I think you can do a lot more with Google than you can with Amazon though, so if it were me, I would probably go with the Nexus for the same price. Just my opinion.
    Exactly, the Fire HD is pretty much a content window into Amazon and it does a very good job at that. The hardware for both are pretty much similar with just a few differences here and there.

I agree with Kevin. Dollar for dollar, you can get more/do more with the Nexus tablet than the Kindle Fire. I suppose if I were buying the tablet solely for eReading purposes, I might just buy the Kindle Fire for direct access to the Kindle library, but otherwise, I think the Nexus is the better deal.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2013)
    Android OS
    Kitkat, Android 4.4.2
    There is a Kindle app at the Google app store for books, so you will that with the Nexus 7.