• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Thread: 3G vs 4G

3G vs 4G

All I know about the differences between 3G and 4G is that the latter is faster. Is this a significant difference? Are there any other benefits of 4G over 3G? Does the phone itself run better, or is this related to the network only? What about wi-fi - is that affected?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From my understanding 4G is just faster when you are connected to the internet. Ever notice that some pages just take forever to load? 4G is simply quicker and more efficient. Other than that there is not much difference except that the 4G phones are newer models, and therefore probably run better just because of that as well.

My phone is on the 3G network, but my sister and her husband recently got 4G versions of my phone. Naturally I had to play around with them to see what I was missing out on! Anyway, I did find that browsing on the 4G network was quicker, but it wasn't anything magical. The phones, however, looked sleeker and just prettier than the older models.

I can put my phone next to my buddies and you can totally tell the difference by watching them. Now if you are just using the buddies alone and not comparing them, it seems almost tolerable.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Thanks for bringing this up, Married2Tech, because I was wondering about this myself. For those of you that said 4G is considerably faster than 3G, would you say it's so much faster that the price difference is justified for a 4G phone versus a 3G phone? I mean, I know theoretically that newer is better and that faster is better, but is 3G fast enough? Given a choice between an inexpensive 3G phone and a 4G phone that's say, twice as much, would you still pay for the newer/faster phone? Just curious, because we will be buying new phones soon!

Device(s)
    Android OS
    v2.0
    My husband’s phone has 4G network it is absolutely faster than 3G network. So now I am downloading some application through my husband’s phone and I felt that different.

Not only is 4G faster, but most 4G phones are the updated version of the most recent operating system. This means some apps will work on 4G but won't work on 3G. My biggest push into 4G was because of the possibility of 3G becoming outdated too quickly.