• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Smartphones worth it?

Do you think smartphones are, in the end, worth the extra cost? I use mine a bit for work, mostly to be able to answer emails very quickly and research things, but could manage without it. Compared to a regular cell phone, they cost significantly more. Then you have to factor in the cost of data plans vs regular/low talk and text plans. What do you think? Is it really worth it or just a luxury?

I didn't pay for my smartphone and my plan (though MUCH better) is maybe $10 more than my old plan with a regular cell phone. To me it is worth it. I don't think I would ever have bought one without the contract though - $600 for a phone is a bit steep.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My phone is worth it to me. I'm a tech nerd and the added functionality compared to a regular mobile phone is enough to make the extra costs worth it. Plus, having access to my email while on the go (which I frequently am) is really nice too. I have to admit I love the gaming capabilities vs regular mobile phones as well.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I don't think it's worth it. I started out with an LG Env3 when I first signed a two year contract with Verizon. After I'd had the phone for about a year, a friend sold me her Droid Incredible and I started using it. My bill went up $10, from about $50 to about $60/month. Now, the $10 difference isn't what bothers me; it's the fact that I'm spending so much on something that I'm using so little. When I get my bill and see how few minutes/data I've actually used, I feel like I'm wasting my money. I'm one of the few people who would actually come out better going prepaid - which is what I'm doing once the contract is up.

For many people yes but for everyone no. I myself am attached to the hip with mine, but I am also on call 24/7 and I know that when I am not in the office I do need it to work and do some of the extra's I need. My uncle however needs only the basics in a phone, he does not care about all the extra's like looking things up online or needing amazing navigation when traveling for work. A "normal phone" does just fine for him.

Personally, I think smartphones are really useful for most people in today's society. I couldn't see myself without the portability that my smartphone offers. I guess the Internet (social networks, e-mail, chats etc.) and the wide amount of applications are what make smartphones so desirable to the young generation. However, I know plenty of elderly people who wouldn't give up their Android smartphones or tablets for anything...

Device(s)
    Samsung galaxy S
    Android OS
    Gingerbread
    I dont believe that because one love the smartphone then and then he or she likes to buy it, say example - I hate touch phone, then I will never buy it and I love Android phone, then I am very eager to buy it so interest matters here, if I love it then its a worth for me: D

That brings up another thing, are smart phones for kids? For me no and I have two kids, neither are going to be running around with a smartphone when they are not able to help pay for the bill.