• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

do all the OS updates affect phone sales?

It's natural for people to wonder how soon the device they just bought might become outdated. Do you think that having a new operating system introduced every few months affects people's feelings about buying a new phone? If you have a phone powered by Ice Cream Sandwich, are you likely to want one with Jelly Bean as soon as it's available?

Knowing that a new OS is just around the corner, I'm inclined to wait and see what features Jelly Bean has that Ice Cream Sandwich doesn't.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

it's kinda sad to know that every few months there's a new phone and it's hard to cope up already if you want to be "in" or "firsts" in phones but on the other side we can see that technologies are really upgrading and turning into something we never think of.

Most phones which run on ICS can be updated to Jelly Bean, as far as I know. I wouldn't mind going for something which is a step back from what is currently the latest, as long as I know I can upgrade later. Besides, the latest OS comes with its own set of problems, like compatibility issues, and other bugs.

I think its the same as an OS for a computer, updates are helpful and they keep things secure. Now I am still a little upset at the recent update that was announced for my Samsung phone that ended up randomly jail breaking it (without notice) but all's well ends well as they were able to help me after being on the phone with them for over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by tremors View Post
    I think its the same as an OS for a computer, updates are helpful and they keep things secure. Now I am still a little upset at the recent update that was announced for my Samsung phone that ended up randomly jail breaking it (without notice) but all's well ends well as they were able to help me after being on the phone with them for over an hour.
    well... you got a point there..

Device(s)
    motorola xoom 2
    Android OS
    honeycomb
    I don't know if this affects sales in general but it doesn't affect me at all.
    I think all OS can be upgraded easily and with all the tutorials out there we should be able to upgrade them ourselves if really necessary. Although, making an upgrade every time something new comes out seems pointless. Why not wait more and upgrade directly to something that really shows a change?
    Off topic example, I was in such a hurry to upgrade my PC to Vista and I don't know why. It wasn't the best idea I ever had and also, after a little while, something better came up anyway.

I do not buy a mode to keep up with the in crowd, I buy it for what I need. The updates and new models can be a good bit to handle. The only people I really know that always have the latest are those in the IT profession since they are usually testing the device out for the company.

I personally like the idea of updates as long as the updates actually work. A few horror stories I have heard were bad when someone would get a new update and it broke the phone. I wonder how often they test these updates before they actually release them?

The constant updates in the platform brings healthier competition among the mobile phone users. The regular updates in the platform shows a positive growth in the mobile development field.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus 3D
    Android OS
    Gingerbread
    You can always update your phone, even if you bought it with an older version of OS. I upgraded mine 2 times already and I didn't have to buy a new phone.