• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Thread: Why a Tablet?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Android OS
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Why a Tablet?

I'm doing research about tablets and everything, and I'm wondering why it would be even wise to buy one?

My android phone texts people, let's me watch videos, check email and use plenty of apps to keep me happy, while my laptop at home is for the time where I need to do research or use the internet for longer periods of times.

It seems the tablets just combine part of a phone and a laptop while not having the ability to do other things.

Why did you get a tablet, and what do you like about it that wouldn't be something you could do with a laptop/android phone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Device(s)
    Samsung Note II
    I bought a Kindle Fire and my main reason for buying it was to have an eReader. It's hard for me to read paperback books these days because the print is so small. I like being able to backlight the text and adjust it until it's as large as I need it to be. Wish I could do that on my computer!!

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible 2
    Android OS
    I don't personally have a tablet, but have had enough experience with them from friends. They are definitely more limited than laptops when it comes to productivity and work use, but are much more versatile with the programs available in apps. From games and entertainment apps to others that can almost make up for what they lose out on against laptops. The screen is bigger than a phone which makes apps easier to use and the tablet being smaller than a laptop makes it more portable. It all just depends on what you want a device for: apps or a laptop with word processing (and other uses) that are easier to work with than a tablet.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II
    Android OS
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    I used to think they were a waste of money too, but I like mine a lot. I use it primarily as an e-reader that is larger than my phone and it works very well for that purpose. Some other apps are pretty neat too when you want a bigger screen but still desire portability.

Device(s)
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Android OS
    Ice Cream sandwich
    The reason a lot of people own tablets is that they are much more portable than even a most lap tops. They have bigger work (screen) areas than a phone so it makes it easier to work on the go. For those that use them as eReaders, the screens are bigger so the words are easier to read.

I like tablets because they're lighter and more portable than laptops, but they have larger screens than smartphones. I couldn't read comfortably on my smartphone, even with an eReader app, because the screen is too small for that.

I work online and I don't always want to lug my laptop out when I am working on the go. A tablet offers me the screen size of a laptop with the portability of a phone. I like it a lot. It is also good for watching movies when you are on a long road trip. If you are mostly working from home on the computer then there really is no point in owning a tablet though.

A tablet is good to use in place of a laptop, when you feel like you want to do more than just phone someone. Other than that, it is too cumbersome to carry around when you are on the go.

Device(s)
    galaxy Note 2
    Android OS
    jellybean
    I would choose a tablet over a laptop just for its mobility alone. It's easier to bring out a tablet and do your stuff while on the go as compared to a laptop. I would choose a tablet over a smartphone if I want to have a larger screen display. For me, I'm contented with my phablet. It's a 5.5 inch device which has a large enough screen but still fits in the pocket. Of course, it's a lot more mobile than a laptop.

I honestly first got one because I wanted a screen bigger than my phone but not as big as my computer. I want something light weight that still does what my phone and computer can do with a better size and less weight. I can toss it in a small bag and take it out with me on quick trips (hiking, biking, get together with friends).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Why do most people use one? I think being easy to carry around but big enough to not squint are two great reasons. I know many people in my work office that carry them into the meeting room instead of fighting with a large laptop. Most of the light and easy to carry laptops cost twice as much. Why not just get a tablet with a roll away keyboard?