• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Walmart Self Checkout Could Come To Android Soon

I read an article today about Walmart's Scan and Go pilot program, which allows smartphone holders to act as their own cashier by using a scan app to scan barcodes and then pay for their items through a self checkout line. According to the article, Walmart has recently tripled the size of the program and plans to make it available for Android users soon.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, I guess it's a good idea since it seems like they just absolutely refuse to hire more actual cashiers, but what happens when you scan something like beer, where you have to provide proof of age? They'll still have to have some cashiers, and those will probably just be overwhelmed trying to deal with a multitude of self checkouts at the same time. I guess it's a good way to keep costs down but it just seems bad for business.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II
    Android OS
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    Self checkout is nice and all, but half the time the cashier needs to help the customer anyway. I don't see that changing when you use your smartphone, except now the cashier has to navigate unfamiliar phones too.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Android OS
    Android 4.0
    That seems like a really cool concept to use and that it will be available for Android. My question is how would the loss prevention dept know what you actually paid for and what would keep them from making bad stop. Walmart could have some lawsuits on hand and the liqour board will be watching very closely to see about underage people buying themselves alcohol.

What do we need that for? Ok, I guess it could eliminate having to wait in line behind a bunch of "Walmartians". But that would take the whole fun out of going to Walmart.