• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Using phone for homework

I've just finished reading an article about how many students use Android smartphones to do homework. I was quite shocked to see 11 year olds have them! This makes me feel so old and behind the times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have an 11 year-old niece with her own smartphone, and I have no doubt that she uses it to help her with her homework. I also have a 13 year-old nephew with his own phone. I just don't understand why their parents are spending the money every month for them to have a cell phone! It seems like a waste of money to me.

Seth, I know what you mean. Almost all of the kids in my family over the age of 10 have smartphones. In my opinion, there's no real "need" for it. I think the kids just want them and bug their parents until they finally give in.

I'd like to know more about how they are using a smartphone for homework. Does this mean things like Internet research? I know we are living in a technological age but not all sources online are reliable and I worry kids are getting lazy about checking facts.

Device(s)
    Phone
    Android OS
    LG
    I read something about this the other day too, and I think the entire concept is fabulous. It seems that young people are using apps to learn more about math and hard sciences, subjects that are not usually so cool.

I agree with you Sully. Now that the internet has become such a quick and easy source of information, we are all relying on it more than we should. I can't even remember the last time I saw an actual encyclopedia!

Meg, do you think this is similar to how our parents worried over the introduction of calculators? I know my mother still adds everything in her head or on paper. She does this even if she uses a calculator as well, 'just to check'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I know my mother still adds everything in her head or on paper. She does this even if she uses a calculator as well, 'just to check'.
    My mom does that, too! She'll do the math in her head and then double check with a calculator. And lord knows, don't ever let her catch you looking like you skipped doing the math in your head in favor of "just" using the calculator! She'll have a fit!!

Device(s)
    lg optimus
    Android OS
    ice cream
    yup thats a bad habbit you can search your answers on net do the calculations using pc, or mobile what if these things are not present, kids won't learn a single word if they use such devices

there is no doubt that you are a smart man . but i advise you had better do yourself on your homework.your bright brian should be used on the right way. you must will be a wise man

but you can use the smartphone to enrich your knowledge . smartphone is a good tool

Device(s)
    Nexus 10
    Android OS
    It's surprising how many children are getting phones at such a young age. If they're actually using it to help with homework then I think that having a phone is fine, but if they're just going to play games all day etc, then the parents could have spent their money on something more sensible. That's just my opinion though.

Device(s)
    Zenithink C91
    I'd like to know more about how they are using a smartphone for homework. Does this mean things like Internet research? I know we are living in a technological age but not all sources online are reliable and I worry kids are getting lazy about checking facts.
    I have to disagree. As a student Internet research helped a lot for my homework. And no need to worry about kids getting lazy to check facts, cause even that part is fun on the Internet.

Device(s)
    phone
    Android OS
    Gingerbread

I don’t know about other kids but I actually use a few apps for school. There is an app called “Insta Spanish” app for my Spanish subjects, “Frenchenation” app for French class, “Qequation” for algebra and “Iqcalc” for math. There are few more apps that I find it useful like “dictionary” and “translator”. Not to mention the notepad which comes handy.

The high school in my town has BYOT which you bring your own technology for certain classes which is kind of helpful in a way

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Phones are a great resource, I use mine often if a calculator isn't at hand or if I need to know the definition of a word. It does sometimes lead to me not thinking things through as much as I might otherwise, though. Regardless, I think phones are a great source of assistance for homework.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Android OS
    Jellybean 4.1.1
    I think this 11 year old with Android smartphones thing is shocking! I mean whats the most they can do with it? Sure checking the internet for facts, calculator.. I think the majority will mostly be playing games on it. Just my opinion, but I think 11 is too young..