• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Rescuing a water damaged phone

My friend had a bit of an accident with her phone which involved it being dropped into shallow water for a short time. Is there a way to rescue it/dry it out?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, the only trick that I know of is to soak the phone in rice as soon as possible after "rescuing" it from the water. It doesn't always work though; I hope your friend had insurance!

Water is definitely a cell phone's worst enemy. I hope it didn't ruin your friend's phone! I would tell them to try the rice trick if they haven't already. If that doesn't work, they will probably just have to buy another phone.

I was also going to suggest the rice trick, or some kind of moisture pouches like they put in food packets sometimes. To be sure she shouldn't try to plug it in to charge until it is definitely safe!

quickly put the battery out,then use blower to blow the phone.in addition,the battery is also needed to blow.up to the second day,it will be fine.my phone has went over like that.

the last floor is also a good idea. "rice trick" my friend use this way.

Android OS
    Samsung Galaxy Y
    You should make water-proof for tablet and ask your comapany for it. Als you can buy water-proof cover for tablet...

Device(s)
    Nexus 10
    Android OS
    What I have done in the past is remove everything you can such as the back cover, and SD card etc. Then put it in a airing cupboard or something similar. I left a phone in for a few days and then it worked fine after that.

Good luck!

Device(s)
    phone
    Android OS
    Gingerbread
    It depends how badly it was wet. For sure this is not covered by manufacture warranty since it is an accident. Bring your phone to a technician, they usually “blow dry” the phone and usually it will do the trick. Wet phones can be easily repaired by a professional technician.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean
    The rice method is pretty much your only go to when dealing with water in the phone. Keep it in covered with rice in a sealed glass for at least 2 to 3 days. If she had insurance there may be exceptions in the contract that precludes water damage from being covered. Hopefully everything worked out for her as its tough to fool the moisture indicators.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean 4.1
    I have used the rice trick and my heat gun to fix several friend's phones that have gotten dropped in water as well as a couple computers. It is really important not to turn the device on while it is still wet. If you are really good technically you can take the phone apart to help it dry better and quicker.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Android OS
    Jellybean 4.1.1
    The rice trick is defiantly a good option. I had a lot of friends who dropped their phones in their toilettes and had to rescue their phones this way. Just immerse your phone in a sealed container of rice for 24-48 hours. Rice really loves to absorb water so thats why this "trick" seems to work quite a bit! Hope your friend's phone is okay!

I am a PRO at preventing water damage. Follow these simple steps:

#1 Pull out the battery instantly and DO NOT PRESS OR USE ANY BUTTONS.
    #2 Shake out any excess water
    #3 Fill a baggie with rice and place the phone inside, sealing it.
    #4 Let it rest for at LEAST 24 hours before attempting to rescue it.

The water itself does no harm - it is when the water comes into contact with electrical current that will fry the transistors, leading to a dead or profoundly damaged phone.

I've dropped my phone in a hot tub, the ocean, even a toilet - and its still working 100%.