• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Tablets to wipe out smart phones?

I just read an interesting article that claims within the next decade tablets will trump smart phones, basically rendering them useless. Is this just scaremongering do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I guess anything is possible, but I don't really believe that. Smartphones are smaller and more portable, and you can't talk on tablets. Although you could Skype... Still, I don't know.

I could see it happening simply because a tablet costs less than a smartphone in the long run. Sure, you might have to pay slightly more for the tablet up front, but you don't have to sign a two year contract for it. Most of them have wi-fi now and we have free wi-fi hot spots all over the place. You could talk to others with Skype and text with instant messenger apps like Yahoo or AIM. They also have internet browsers and their screens are larger. I could definitely see tablets taking over and making smartphones obsolete, but I think we're still years away from that.

I doubt that will ever happen but I see the screens getting bigger so it might happen. I don't like bigger screens personally but idk

Device(s)
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I just read an interesting article that claims within the next decade tablets will trump smart phones, basically rendering them useless. Is this just scaremongering do you think?
    I think it's quite possible, especially when you consider the fact that smartphones are getting bigger and bigger with every release, inching closer and closer to tablets. The Samsung Galaxy S IV is supposed to be 6.3" in length, and the Kindle Fire tablet I have is only 7" long! It's much closer to a tablet than it is to a phone. I think in the end, we're going to end up with a hybrid of the two. (I am already seeing the term "phablet" more and more frequently.)

Device(s)
    Samsung Note II
    Nah, not going to happen. Not all smartphones will get that big anyway. People want something they can carry around in their pocket easily. I'd never have a pad for phone use!

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Android OS
    Android 4.0
    I doubt that very much just for the reason that you can't carry a tablet in your pocket. Smartphones are slick and light in design for the most part and can be carried on the belt. I wouldn't want to carry a tablet like that.

Device(s)
    galaxy Note 2
    Android OS
    jellybean
    I think that article is just there to grab the attention of readers. Tablets would not replace smartphones in the near future because they are very bulky and cannot fit in the pocket. Cellphones are more handy than tablets that's why I think that this issue is only a lot of mumbo jumbo.

Device(s)
    Samsung Exhibit II
    Android OS
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    I prefer to have a phone to fit in my pocket. My tablet is nice, but I wouldn't want to carry it around in lieu of a phone. I think most people feel the same way, so I don't see phones fading out any time soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I don't think tablets will ever wipe out smartphones, but phablets are another story! Phone screens are getting bigger and bigger, especially with the popularity of phones like the galaxy s3 and note 2. People are getting more used to them too. I say within a year or two, we will be seeing 5.5"+ phablets, but I couldn't really see them crossing over into the tablet range size and becoming popular.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab2
    Android OS
    Android 4.1.1
    I don't think that would happen. Tablets can't be put in pockets which most prefer, hence the smartphones. But I can see tablets might be able to replace laptops in the future.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgeedee View Post
    I don't think that would happen. Tablets can't be put in pockets which most prefer, hence the smartphones. But I can see tablets might be able to replace laptops in the future.
    I couldn't see tablets replacing laptops. Touch screen keyboards are extremely difficult to get used to and type fluently in. Unless they create some kind of technology obsoleting keyboards, there's no way laptops will be replaced. Not any time soon, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgeedee View Post
    While it is true that tablets can't be put in your pocket, smartphones are getting bigger and bigger and many of them won't fit in your pocket anymore, either, so I don't think that's going to stop tablets from overtaking smartphones. However, you can't talk on a tablet, and I think that's where smartphones really have the edge up.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    While it is true that tablets can't be put in your pocket, smartphones are getting bigger and bigger and many of them won't fit in your pocket anymore, either, so I don't think that's going to stop tablets from overtaking smartphones. However, you can't talk on a tablet, and I think that's where smartphones really have the edge up.
    As far as I know, every smartphone on the market right now, including the Note II with a whopping 5.5" screen, passes the pocket test. I don't believe phone producers would go so far as to making a phone that can't even fit in ones pocket. That would take away the whole essence of it being a 'phone', you know? That would too closely resemble just a table that you can make phone calls with.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasarc View Post
    As far as I know, every smartphone on the market right now, including the Note II with a whopping 5.5" screen, passes the pocket test. I don't believe phone producers would go so far as to making a phone that can't even fit in ones pocket. That would take away the whole essence of it being a 'phone', you know? That would too closely resemble just a table that you can make phone calls with.
    I might could see a 5" or 6" phone fitting into your back pocket, but I don't think it's going to fit comfortably into a front pocket; at least, not a woman's front pocket. Plus, if you put a case on it, that's going to make it longer still, and thicker. Funny that you should say a larger phone would "too closely resemble a tablet that you can make phone calls with" though, because the upcoming Galaxy S IV is going to be over 6" long, and that's exactly what it reminds me of!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I might could see a 5" or 6" phone fitting into your back pocket, but I don't think it's going to fit comfortably into a front pocket; at least, not a woman's front pocket. Plus, if you put a case on it, that's going to make it longer still, and thicker. Funny that you should say a larger phone would "too closely resemble a tablet that you can make phone calls with" though, because the upcoming Galaxy S IV is going to be over 6" long, and that's exactly what it reminds me of!
    iirc the Galaxy s IV is going to have pretty much the same dimensions as the s III, just a larger screen within those dimensions. I see what you mean by it not fitting in a womens pocket WITH a case, but I have seen youtube video's where the phone does fit in their front pocket just fine. I'd personally say 5.5" is almost on the borderline of being too large, though. I'm not sure if the companies are willing to go any larger with their phones, as many people can't even properly HOLD the note 2.

Device(s)
    galaxy Note 2
    Android OS
    jellybean
    Maybe there is a chance that tablets could replace laptops though. If tablets would have more functions and features, I think laptops would have to say bye bye.

Device(s)
    Kindle Fire
    Android OS
    I don't think that will ever happen. Tablets are still big and rather cumbersome at times. It isn something you can fit into your pocket. Besides, most tablets can't call people locally, and we of course will need that in the coming years. My opinion: don't believe everything you hear.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Android OS
    Ice Cream Sandwich
    People will always want something they can have at their disposal that will fit into their pockets, purses, etc.

I can't see the tablet wiping it out. I can, however, see the tablet becoming more popular with businesses and companies using them for presentations, etc. It would make for a smooth office if everybody had a neat little tablet they can take around to present things, transfer documents, etc. I feel they will be less like computers and more like smart phones, but they definitely will not replace either.

I think tablets are just a substitute for carrying around a laptop. They are really too big to want to carry around to use as a phone all the time.