• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Free... With Contract

Many of the cell phone carriers are having sales on some of their more expensive smart phones and are in fact GIVING them away, as long as you agree to sign a two-year contract. Would you rather get the phone for free and sign a two-year contract or would you rather pay for the phone and go contract-free?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, in all honesty, I would rather pay for the phone and go contract free, but if you agree to sign a contract, you have more phones to choose from and they're usually nicer than the phones you can choose from if you refuse to sign a contract.

I would rather pay for the phone and go contract free, because those cell phone bills have an odd way of going up every month, and when they do, you have no choice but to pay it because you're locked into the contract.

I have a contract, though the phone was't free. The way it works is if I quit early I'll have to pay a backdated rental charge. I don't mind because the monthly fee is cheaper than if I'd bought the phone outright. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the plan, which makes it a no brainer in my case.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm not under contract currently but I've been considering it because the up front costs for the phone are so much less than if you go contract-free and have to pay full price for the phone up front. I sat down recently and did the math to see how I would come out cheaper - paying full price for a phone and going month-to-month, or paying a reduced price for the phone and signing a two-year contract. In the end, I came out better paying full price for the phone and going month-to-month, but now that the phone I want is being offered for free, I may have to sit down and do the math all over again!

Device(s)
    MiguelVapsNP
    The only issue I have with signing a contract is the issue that blondie pointed out. It seems like whenever you sign a contract, every month your bill is higher than it was the previous month, even though you're not using the phone more and more. At the end of the day, you only have so much power to fight the bill with, because regardless of anything else, you signed that contract agreeing to two years of service with that carrier.