• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket
    Device(s)
    LG Optimus 3D Max
    Android OS
    ice cream sandwich

Why not state the name of the OS ?

When I look for a new phone I also look at the OS, it's normal. Most of the times I only see "OS: android 2.2" or "android 2.3". Why don't they put in the full name of the operating system ? Seeing only numbers gets confusing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would you rather by a phone with an OS you love that might end up being an outdated and non-currently running version or would you rather have the best? That is the way I look at it.

Device(s)
    LG Optimus 3D Max
    Android OS
    ice cream sandwich
    I was asking about the full name of the OS. The "android 2.3" is in fact "Gingerbread". Why don't they just write the word gingerbread also? I always have to look up the full name of the OS and I find it annoying. Numbers don't tell me anything, words do

Device(s)
    LG Optimus 3D
    Android OS
    Gingerbread
    I agree. They should also add the codename of the OS. Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich etc. are codenames, right? If there was just Android 1, Android 2, Android 3 etc., it would be a lot more simple to remember what the latest one is called, but seeing how they have to use ``something point something``, they should think about M Corine's suggestion.

It's all about marketing, this whole 'naming-your-os' thing. And Google did a pretty nice thing with it, making users remember the operating systems way easier.

I don't mind the number thing, I already know which one is which. Most of the phones come with 2.2 or 2.3, which are Froyo and Gingerbread. Not that hard to remember, IMO.

I really don't have a problem with them not putting in the full name. If you want the newest version of the OS,just remember to look for the biggest numbers. I think they are up to 4 point something now. The numbers after the point are just the update version of the OS.