• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Any harm in using a phone while it is charging?

My presumption is that you are supposed to first charge the battery then use the phone when the former is full. I see a lot of people doing a thing or two while the battery is charging.

Doesn't this harm it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Alb
    I don't think so. I've been doing this with all my cell phones, and it didn't seem to affect them in any way. Why would you wait until the battery is completely full? You can use the phone just as well regardless of what percentage of the battery is charged.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    I don't think it is harmful to use it while it is charging. I have always used every cell phone I have ever had during charging and I have never had issues with the battery. I just does not charge as fast.

I haven't heard of using the phone while charging it causing any harm. I do it all the time and have done it for a while. I guess I could just not notice any problems it has caused but I guess that means it's not significant enough for me to worry about it too much.

I think it's okay, but I don't know for sure. I've used a non-smartphone phone when it was charging before, and it was always okay. I assume it's the same for smartphones.

Well, that is what I initially thought but now I am almost convinced of there being no harm whatsoever. My idea was that the battery should first charge before use.

I have been doing it for years too. I do remember an e-mail going around once showing a person using a cell phone when it was plugged in and charging. It burned the guy or so it was shown.

Quote Originally Posted by appuser View Post
    I have been doing it for years too. I do remember an e-mail going around once showing a person using a cell phone when it was plugged in and charging. It burned the guy or so it was shown.
    That sounds like one of those urban legend kind of emails, to be honest. And...it is! It's on Snopes.com, actually, and shown to be mostly false (cellphone batteries can explode, but usually not while they're charging and you're using it). Here's the link: snopes.com: Cell Phone Recharging Electrocution

I agree with Boomerang. I cannot recall any instance where the a cell phone battery exploded while connected to the charger. That would be possible if there was a short circuit or something like that.

Boomerang, I was going to say the same thing about this being an urban legend when I saw it discussed on Snopes. From what I can tell, it just seems like a reasonable question to ask. So, naturally, there are lots of online discussions. But I haven't seen any actual references to anyone having a problem aside from an occasional screen display glitch.

Well, I do that all the time and I have never considered it any harmful in doing so. Either way, the battery is going to be drained, though I have also heard it is advisable to charge the battery when it is almost empty.

Your phone will probably take a lot longer to charge, because you are using the power as it is charging. As far as safety, it should be ok, unless your hands or hair are wet. You should take proper precautions as you would when you are dealing with anything that is plugged in.