• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Alb
  • 1 Post By appuser
  • 1 Post By Boomerang
  • 1 Post By Vern
  • 1 Post By Mawdryn
  • 1 Post By GadgetGrace
  • 1 Post By ThunderboltBaby
  • 1 Post By nashwida
  • 1 Post By starscream
  • 1 Post By raju201239
  • 1 Post By Wally

Thread: Why are Android versions named after desserts ?

Alb

Why are Android versions named after desserts ?

From what I've read online, Google refuses to explain why the Android versions are named after desserts (in alphabetical order). A Google spokesman said that it was an "internal team thing".

I think they just wanted to make the products sound both sweet and quirky. What's your opinion?
    Sassy likes this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is a good guess... I really did not know they were named after desserts until I read these threads. Pretty cool if you ask me. I wonder what the next name will be?
    Sassy likes this.

I think it's just for something fun. Normally every company names their stuff after a certain idea. Like, Ubuntu versions have animals in them, and so do Mac OS versions. Windows doesn't do it but that's because they're boring. :P
    Sassy likes this.

I like the naming scheme. I think it says a lot about the company wanting to keep a fun image and reputation. I have never heard them explain why but I imagine it's just something that simple.
    Sassy likes this.

I wonder if it's something to do psychologically. Like, when you think of an ice cream sandwich, you think of something good to eat. So maybe then you'd associate a phone with an "ice cream sandwich" OS as something good to use?
    Sassy likes this.

I'm not sure why they chose desserts specifically, but look at how we're discussing it, wondering what will be next. And everyone loves food. But I can't help but wonder if they planned to start the dessert tradition from the beginning with cupcake. Or do you think it just snowballed? Hey, that's a food! Isn't a Snowball one of those chocolate Hostess Cupcakes that's creme-filled with pink icing and coconut sprinkles? But, of course, that's a brand name. If the Android makes it to S, do you think it will be Strawberry Shortcake?
    Sassy likes this.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    I had no idea that they were named after desserts. I think it is an awesome and unique idea. I wonder how long they have to sit around and think about which name will be next. There are thousands of desserts out there after all.
    Sassy likes this.

I like the way you are looking at it GadgetGrace. It is interesting that they used desserts as a basis of naming their versions. I am thinking the hassle of thinking out the next names has been assigned to one person who would do nothing to disappoint.
    Sassy likes this.

haha! i was wondering the same thing too! but you know, it's cute and people like it! plus it is much more easier to remember.
    Sassy likes this.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Android OS
    ICS
    I will say thanks to Android for naming it to sweet & funny names. I really do love Ice Cream & sandwich, I am having this on my mobile device as well.
    Sassy likes this.
    Android related Tech Blog www.nkjskj.com

I have no idea, but I think it's a really nice way of remembering their names, instead of 2.x, 3.x, 4.x and so on. No one will probably find out why Google names them like this...
    Sassy likes this.

Device(s)
    Samsung admire

St IM NEW TO ALL OF THIS BUT IM LIKING WHAT I SEE...GREAT!!..

Device(s)
    Samsung admire

Sexy

Cus all the apps are sweet!!!!....lol...

I love the idea of it, I mean really who hates ice cream? I bet some other companies were quite upset they had not thought of it sooner, looks like they did it the right way. I know very few people who are not Android lovers and each adore the names.

d72
    Device(s)
    HTC Evo 3D
    Android OS
    LeeDroid
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I have no idea, but I think it's a really nice way of remembering their names, instead of 2.x, 3.x, 4.x and so on. No one will probably find out why Google names them like this...
    I disagree, I find it extremely confusing, I'd rather things be named by their version numbers, Windows used to annoy me with it, Ubuntu annoys me with it and it's even more confusing now that I've switched to Linux Mint, not only do I have to look up what my version of Mint is equivalent to in Ubuntu releases, I also have to look up what the codename is for the version of Ubuntu. It's Ubuntu 12.10...so call it that, It's Android 4.0, so call it that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab2
    Android OS
    Android 4.1.1
    Probably Android just want to be different from others, like Apple named their's with "i" like iphone and iOS. Android probably just want desserts names or themes as it's easier to remember