• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Are a phone's cameras important to you?

I'm curious about how important it is to you that your smartphone have both a rear-facing and a front-facing camera...

Is the quality of the cameras a dealmaker/dealbreaker when you choose your smartphone? Do you rely a lot on video calls / video chatting on your phone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Droid 3, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi, and HP TouchPad ICS
    Android OS
    It isn't hugely important to me and does not make me choose which phone I want. But I would never get a phone that did not have a camera at all.
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

It didn't used to be important until we had a kid. I knew I would have him in my arms most of the time and wanted to be able to take pictures while my husband was at work. Well, now I can't remember a time I actually used it!

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    While the camera quality won't be a deal breaker for me, all other things being equal it could help me narrow down my choices when picking a new phone. I do use my camera a lot and right now my phone has a better quality camera (8MP) than some point and shoots on the market.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    For me, camera quality is definitely a deal breaker. I don't want anything less than 5 MP, but I would prefer 8 MP. I can take or leave flash, although most of the 8 MP cams out there have a flash feature. As far as having a front AND rear facing camera, I would definitely like both, but I don't have to have both, so long as the phone has a high quality front facing camera.

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Android OS
    Quote Originally Posted by android_amanda View Post
    For me, camera quality is definitely a deal breaker. I don't want anything less than 5 MP, but I would prefer 8 MP. I can take or leave flash, although most of the 8 MP cams out there have a flash feature. As far as having a front AND rear facing camera, I would definitely like both, but I don't have to have both, so long as the phone has a high quality front facing camera.
    I'm like the opposite, I would be okay with a 5mp and really like flash, I use it as a flash light all the time.
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

You use the smartphone's flash feature as a flashlight? First time I've heard about such a thing, but it does sound like a good idea when it's a power outage. Other than that, I rarely need a flashlight. Do you go into dark places often?

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Android OS
    Quote Originally Posted by TimHawkins View Post
    You use the smartphone's flash feature as a flashlight? First time I've heard about such a thing, but it does sound like a good idea when it's a power outage. Other than that, I rarely need a flashlight. Do you go into dark places often?
    Just sometimes, it works quite good actually.

Do you have to take a picture each time you're using it as a flashlight? I've never had a phone with a flash for the camera before, so I'm not quite sure how it works.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix
    i don't know this, first time I've heard about such a thing, but it does sound like a good idea when it's a power outage.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    There's an app on phones that have a flash feature that allows you to use it as a flashlight, so no, you don't have to take a picture each time you want/need the light. You just access the flashlight app and until you exit out of the application, the flash light stays on, just like a flashlight. On some phones, like mine for example, you can also adjust the brightness of the light. :~)

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Android OS
    Quote Originally Posted by Royroid View Post
    Do you have to take a picture each time you're using it as a flashlight? I've never had a phone with a flash for the camera before, so I'm not quite sure how it works.
    There are application on the market that use the led from the camera, I currently use the application made my Motorola app.

I like to be the person taking the photos so having a front/rear is not a huge issue for me, now clarity is though. I have seen some crazy expensive phones and the cameras are not worth the money some people are trying to charge for them.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 900
    Android OS
    Android OS 2.0
    Well, I am hard follower of Video Chat. Front Camera is really one of most important feature for me. I really love this smartphone option. It's incredibly cool and useful.