• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket
    Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible

Age Appropriateness of Cell Phones

When do you think a cell phone is age-appropriate for your child? I remember wanting a cell phone my freshman year of high school, but my parents wouldn't and didn't put me on their plan until after I'd received my driver's license. While I certainly didn't agree with their decision then, because it meant I had to wait two years for a cell phone, looking back on it now, I agree that I really didn't need a cell phone before I started driving. As far as my kids are concerned, I plan on using the same guidelines.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Droid 3, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi, and HP TouchPad ICS
    Android OS
    I think you should get them one early, kids get phones and earlier, i think 14 or 15 would be good. Kids get phone earlier and earlier, and it is just hard in 8th aand 9th without a phone. Trust me...
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

Some children have phones from very early ages and I don't know of any studies that show whether this affects the children's behavior in a bad way. On the contrary, smartphones offer various advantages. Children can always keep in touch with their family and friends, as well as with the authorities. I remember reading an article on Yahoo! News about a little girl who managed to scare away a potential kidnapper by getting out her iPod and screaming about calling 911. Luckily, the guy mistook the iPod for an iPhone and ran away.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO
    Android OS
    I think it really depends on what your kids would need it for. If they walk home from school alone or are in sports or other activities where they will need to call you to pick them up then sure get them one early. If not then I say wait. Most of us never had cell phones as children and it did not hurt us any.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    Cell phones were not around when I was a kid but I can't imagine my parents buying me even if they were. I don't think kids should have them period. They are banned in most schools and if they want to make a call they can use the home phone. That way I can monitor who they are talking to and when.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Thanks for your input, everyone. Honestly, I just don't see myself ever letting my kid into any kind of situation where they would need to use a phone and NOT have access to one. If he plays sports, for example, I won't be dropping him off and picking him up later; I'll be with him at his games. If/when he spends the night with a friend, he can use their phone if or when he needs to get in touch with me. And I would NEVER let him walk home from school alone; that's way too dangerous in the neighborhood we live in! But I can see where some parents would extend their younger children more independence than I do mine, so for them, I think it's probably a good idea.

This is definitely a touchy parenting subject. I never had a cell phone until I purchased my own, even though most of my friends had one growing up. Nowadays, I see where parents consider it safer. I haven't really thought about it too much, they'll probably have a cell phone chip mandatory by the time my kid is able to use one!