• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about anything to do with android that can't fit into another forum.

Photobucket

Are touchscreens in danger of becoming extinct?

Have you guys read that rumor that is spreading around online about the possibility of touchscreens being in danger of becoming extinct in the next 10 years due to a shortage of indium tin oxide (which is the substance from which they are created)? I've also read that scientists have started working on the development of carbon nanotubes, an alternative solution or a cheaper replacement for the current touchscreen material...

Do you think these are just rumors, or has humanity really drained up the earth's resources so quickly and irresponsibly?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Droid 3, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi, and HP TouchPad ICS
    Android OS
    I would not worry about it, even if it is true, by then we will have found something to replace it possible even better.
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Tablet Guy - First let me say that I LOVE your avatar, lol. I have one almost identical attached to my Xbox Live account. Anyways, as far as the rumor is concerned, it wouldn't surprise me if it is true. Even if the part about the indium tin oxide isn't true, I think we will almost certainly be on to the next new thing ten years from now, and touch screen cell phones will likely be as ancient to us then as cell phones from ten years ago are to us now.

Wow, this is an interesting rumor. I haven't heard anything about this until now, but it wouldn't surprise me if we did drain up the resources. I wouldn't say it's irresponsible, though. You have to take baby steps in inventing things, and I think the smartphone touch screens are a baby step to something bigger and better.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO
    Android OS
    It would not surprise me either but everyone is right, by then we will be on to the next big thing. Heck by then the phone might just be a computer chip implanted in our heads.