• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Barnes & Noble Nook Color Forums is a place to get support, talk about latest features, and connect with fellow owners for your phone. Feel free to ask questions or just gather the latest news or updates. Root and ROMs topics are discussed in this forumís subforum.

Photobucket

Magazines on Nook Color

I have a Nook but I'm considering getting a Nook Color for the holidays.

I am curious about magazines. Are the subscriptions reasonably priced? Are they completely in color? Do they still have advertisements?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've heard that they have advertisements and they are just the way they are when you get them in paper (color). I have not seen them though - I don't own the Nook color yet!

Interesting. Thanks, appuser. I guess it makes sense they would still have ads. I am still curious about subscription prices. I imagine they are more reasonable than the paper version.

That I don't know. I would think they would be a bit cheaper but not sure - I mean you would still get them each month/week whatever the subscription was. They would not have the paper and print cost but I'm sure they would come up with something else to charge you for.

Alb
    The subscriptions for online magazines are mostly cheaper than for printed magazines. However, do you really need a Nook Color to read magazines online? You could spend a little more and get a real tablet that has better specs and does a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by Alb View Post
    The subscriptions for online magazines are mostly cheaper than for printed magazines. However, do you really need a Nook Color to read magazines online? You could spend a little more and get a real tablet that has better specs and does a lot more...
    I wouldn't get a Nook Color just to read magazines. There are other reasons that I want one. I am not too concerned with getting a tablet, I just want an e-reader at the moment. I might get a tablet in the future but not for a while.

I would think that digital magazines would be cheaper than paper ones, as well, but ebooks aren't always cheaper than paper books, soooo. I guess it just depends on the magazine/publisher/etc.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    From the Nook website that you can either pay per month or per issue. It seems kind of expensive to me and I would personally stick with the paper versions from a money standpoint. Here is an example-People has 4 issues a month at $3.99 an issue or a $9.99 a month for a 12 month subscription. Cosmo has 1 issue a month at $1.99 a month for 12 months or $3.99 for just one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderboltBaby View Post
    From the Nook website that you can either pay per month or per issue. It seems kind of expensive to me and I would personally stick with the paper versions from a money standpoint. Here is an example-People has 4 issues a month at $3.99 an issue or a $9.99 a month for a 12 month subscription. Cosmo has 1 issue a month at $1.99 a month for 12 months or $3.99 for just one issue.
    Thanks for the info. I am going to consider it in case I do decide to get the Nook Color. I am hearing that the quality is pretty good but if the price isn't right then I guess I still have more to think about.

I think I've seen some free magazines available before! I don't think they're along the same lines as, say, Vogue or Cosmo, but free stuff is always good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mawdryn View Post
    I think I've seen some free magazines available before! I don't think they're along the same lines as, say, Vogue or Cosmo, but free stuff is always good, right?
    Yep, free is always good. I think when I got the original Nook I got a free subscription to The New Yorker. I never really read it but it was nice to have a free magazine subscription. It wasn't in color or anything though.

You can subscribe to any magazine on the Nook that you already subscribe to in print for free. I own a Nook Color and a Kindle Fire. I have to be honest in that I don't really care for the magazines on these tablets. I'm more of an "in print" magazine fan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy III
    I've seen a couple of magazines on the Nook Color and I did not really care for them. I don't think I would ever get used to reading a magazine or a newspaper on a tablet. They are just too small.