• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Android Rooting Forum discussion about general android root development.

Photobucket

Thread: What is Root?

Device(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Android OS
    Android Jelly Bean 4.1

What is Root?

For those of you who want to know what rooting a Android phone is. Basically it allows increase privileges on your Android enabled devices. Increase privileges allows users to install things that a device would not typically allow. Which is why it is sometimes referred to as super user access or administrative access. Some of the more popular reasons to do this is over or under clock your phone, install custom roms, install root only apps (like tethering) etc. I hope this very short description helps somebody out.

If you'd like to read more i believe PB posted a start to hopefully many more guides on this issue which can be found here 101: Basic Introduction to Android Rooting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Device(s)
    lg optimus
    Android OS
    ice cream
    thanks alec but i would like to warn users that rooting is against the tos for all phones and can void your warranty

Nancy, you are right to warn people about voiding the warranty. I would also like to add that if you don't know what you are doing you could turn your phone into a very expensive paperweight if you don't know what you are doing and attempt to root your phone.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid DNA
    Android OS
    Android Jelly Bean 4.1
    you guys are absolutely right, which is why its extremely important to read read read and learn as much as possible. This was just a short intro that someone had ask for in another thread.
    Please be aware we allow only one link per signature.
    Please do not PM members for support, start a new thread to get support from the community.