• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Android Rooting Forum discussion about general android root development.

Photobucket
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Engaged in Spiritual Warfare
    Posts
    26
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    Tagital 7" tablet
    Android OS
    4.0

    What to do after rooting

    So, we all know that rooted devices are more open to customization and such. What are some of the things that you do to take advantage of a rooted device? Are there special scripts or apps that you put on there? Did you find version of Android that you prefer to the one that came with your device? If so, what about it do you like better? There's a lot of general threads on why to root, but nothing specific that I've noticed about taking advantage of rooting.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Android OS
    4.2.2
    I would find a good ROM to try out and use. ROMs have much more functionality and customization than Google's stock firmware. I usually explore XDA-Developers and see any ROM that suits my tastes. I'll also try out some mods and themes.
    There are device-optimizations scripts as well, such as Supercharger V6, GPS-Lock Optimizations, ad removers, and much more.

    I would recommend XDA-Developers forum, that's where all rooted android developers release and talk about their mods and tweaks and etc.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Engaged in Spiritual Warfare
    Posts
    26
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    Tagital 7" tablet
    Android OS
    4.0
    When looking for ROMs, do I need to find one specific to my device, or would I need to find device drivers after putting the ROM on? I'm familiar with changing the OS on a desktop or laptop, but I'm still a tablet newbie.

    Aside from just going through XDA and browsing through there, are the any other recommendations?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    25
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckJiuJitsu View Post
    When looking for ROMs, do I need to find one specific to my device, or would I need to find device drivers after putting the ROM on? I'm familiar with changing the OS on a desktop or laptop, but I'm still a tablet newbie.

    Aside from just going through XDA and browsing through there, are the any other recommendations?
    You really need to find the section that is for your device. Too many times people think to use any ROM for a different phone and turn their device into a nice paper weight. Just a rule of thumb is to stick to ROM's for your device. XDA Developers are the first and best source for ROMs and various other tidbits of excellent information.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    China
    Posts
    43
    Reputation
    12
    Device(s)
    Samsung Note II
    Do a search for ROOT on the Play, or other, android stores, and you'll find quite a few apps that need this. It can help you get rid of certain manufacturer installed apps that you maybe don't want.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    87
    Reputation
    10
    First, I want to know what is meant by rooting.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Engaged in Spiritual Warfare
    Posts
    26
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    Tagital 7" tablet
    Android OS
    4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Galaxy View Post
    You really need to find the section that is for your device. Too many times people think to use any ROM for a different phone and turn their device into a nice paper weight. Just a rule of thumb is to stick to ROM's for your device. XDA Developers are the first and best source for ROMs and various other tidbits of excellent information.
    Given that my device is a cheapo Chinese made tablet that is sold under different names, I dunno how much success I'll have searching for stuff for it, but I'll give it a shot...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chinaren View Post
    Do a search for ROOT on the Play, or other, android stores, and you'll find quite a few apps that need this. It can help you get rid of certain manufacturer installed apps that you maybe don't want.
    While there were some things installed on my tablet that I don't want/need (mobile gmail works better than the app, only have wifi access, so no real need for a map app), I have the ability to remove any I don't want. I'd seen somewhere before I bought the tablet that it came pre-rooted.

    Quote Originally Posted by NdotIndia View Post
    First, I want to know what is meant by rooting.
    Rooting is basically giving you the equivalent of system administrator privileges on a PC, if my understanding is correct.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    333
    Reputation
    16
    Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    2.3
    Android Forums at Android Evolved

  10. #9
    d72
    d72 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Reputation
    10
    Device(s)
    HTC Evo 3D
    Android OS
    LeeDroid
    The reason that I root is to install a custom ROM and then remove any of the unnecessary junk that comes installed, the HTC stuff, Facebook etc. I don't like having my phone cluttered up with apps that I'll never use, being rooted gives me the freedom to remove them.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Ever had an issue with rooting?
    By memento_mori in forum Android Rooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM
  2. [Rooting Guide] Rooting the Evo 3D
    By MTKnife in forum EVO 3D Root, ROMS, Kernels, & Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM
  3. Rooting My HTC Inspire
    By Animachine in forum Android Rooting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  4. Is there any way to detect rooting?
    By memento_mori in forum Android Rooting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
  5. Rooting
    By W.Osiris in forum Splendor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •