• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Android Rooting Forum discussion about general android root development.

Photobucket

is rooting safe?

Does anyone root their Android tablet or phone? It sounds rather risky to me. Aren't you basically getting into the operating system? Even if someone knows what they're doing, you're still dealing with security issues.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't root, but I do know that it's easy to do so and I think if you mess something up you can reset your phone back to factory default. If you do root, it...voids your warranty? I think that's how it works, anyway.

Device(s)
    Zenithink C91
    Rooting can have 3 main negative effects on your device.
    1. It voids the warranty. However, that is only if they find out. And the only way for them to find out is if you tell or if you send it for repairs without resetting it.
    2. It makes Google Wallet vulnerable since it allows other apps to acces your PIN and other wallet information.
    3. It can brick your device. This will render your device completely useless, and unlike the case where you simply mess up the rooting, resetting the device won't help.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Android OS
    Jelly Bean
    Firstly, by simply rooting your device your accessing root file systems. This opens up your phone to give you more control with certain aspects of the Android OS. These days its nearly impossible to hard brick your device, there are many simple one-click methods to root and to recover from what is referred as "boot loop" Just be sure you know what your installing as you can bring in an infected .apk into your phone that will cause you many headaches and frustrations.

To answer directly, rooting an Android device is generally very safe and I have done so many times. The warnings of bricking your phone i.e. rendering your phone useless is just there because it can happen but the chances are slim to nothing. So don't be scared of that point if you thinking of rooting.

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Android OS
    Android 4.1
    Rooting an Android phone is usually safe if you do the instructions carefully otherwise you could end up with some bad consequences. If you don't root your phone or tablet correctly, it could result in bricking your phone which means that you can't use your phone or voiding you warranty which means that if you break your phone in your warranty for example, you won't be able to send it back for repair as your warranty has been cleared which in other words means gone.