• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about all the Android carriers here.

Photobucket
    Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible

Verizon Prepaid Service

I love my Android phone, but I don't use it as much as I first thought I would. I never talk on it and I use less than 1GB/month of data. The only thing I do with my cell phone is text, although I will admit, I text almost constantly. So the contract runs out in March and I've decided not to renew it, or continue paying $50+/month for texting. I've decided to go prepaid, since Verizon offers $15/month prepaid cards and $10/month unlimited texting bundles. My husband is already doing this and it's been a huge money saver. So my question is this: Does anyone know of an Android prepaid phone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Device(s)
    HTC EVO
    Android OS
    I believe that any Verizon phone can be switched to a prepaid service with them, but if it is an Android the service may be more expensive than what you are looking at with a regular phone. I used to have prepaid service and to be honest the contract is a better deal for me.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Hmm, if this is the case, then I may very well have my phone switched to prepaid instead of purchasing a new one. (Although, I did see a new non-Android prepaid phone that I liked, but it was still $100 and I don't really want to pay that much for a prepaid phone!) I know I don't hold the popular opinion in being pro-prepaid (say that 3x fast, lol) but I've been tracking my usage over the term of the contract and I really don't use the phone enough to justify what I'm paying for it. If I were using all my minutes and data, or even half of what I'm allotted, then I could justify it, but as it stands, I'm barely using 10% of my minutes and less than about 25% of the data.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO
    Android OS
    I am all for prepaid as long as it is actually saving you money. However, let me say that you will end up paying more per minute to use the phone with a prepaid service from most places so $15 might not even last you a whole month. I say try it for a few months and see how it goes. If it saves you a great deal of money stick with it.

I doubt I could go back to a prepay ever again, now for the kids maybe its possible but not for us adults. We spend a ton of time dealing with our phones when we are out of the work office. Do you have a local Verizon store that you can walk into and check out their plans while speaking with someone about it?

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    I could never do prepaid again either. I use my phone way too much from surfing the web to texting to making phone calls. I just don't know how prepaid phones are even a feasible, cost effective option anymore. Of course, I don't have a land line phone either so I use more phone minutes because of that.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Well, if I talked on the phone for conversational purposes, or even for business purposes, I wouldn't even consider going prepaid. The only reason I'm going prepaid now is because the only *significant* use I have for my phone is texting. Sure, right now I browse the web with it if I'm trying to kill time for some reason, but that's far from a necessity for me because I have a computer/internet at home. The web browsing feature is one that I can definitely do without, for the sake of saving money. As far as talking is concerned, I think I *literally* talked on my phone less than 10 minutes last month. (I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I REALLY hate talking on the phone.) This is why prepaid will work for me, and why it's already working for my husband. We buy a $15 dollar card for him at the beginning of the month and $10 of that goes towards the unlimited texting plan. That leaves him with $5 on the phone to talk with, for emergency purposes, and in the last year that we've been doing this, we've NEVER had to buy a second phone card in the same 30 day period. Everyone that he communicates with is on Verizon as well, so we all just text each other and it falls up under the $10 unlimited texting, never costing him any additional money. And if an emergency ever arises, with $5 left over he has enough money left to make a phone call to take care of whatever issue might arise. I definitely wouldn't recommend prepaid for everyone, but for people like us, it works. :~)

I'm with you. I rarely use my phone for anything other than texting. Sometimes I surf the web, but not often. I do enjoy the apps and such, though. Not sure if I could do away with those.