• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about all the Android carriers here.

Photobucket

google and verizon

Has anyone read the about net neutrality issue with Google and Verizon? It sounds like smartphones might eventually be limited in the content they can access if Verizon, among others, gets its way. The whole thing is rather confusing, but that seems to be the gist of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't heard anything about this! Why would they be limited in the content they can access? What good would that do? And how would they do it?

From the little I know about it, content providers would be able to charge for their specific content. It sounds to me like it's similar to how cable TV works. You get access to lots of programming, but you have to pay for premium channels.

Alb
    Well, wouldn't this make Verizon lose customers? I, for one, wouldn't want the content accessibility on my smartphone to be limited. Is this just a rumor, or has Verizon officially announced this decision?

It's beyond the rumor stage, and seems to be more a matter of interpretation and spin. It's gotten very political because FCC regulations are at the heart of net neutrality. Those who argue in favor of net neutrality feel that big companies such as Verizon will be in a position to shut out smaller, emerging competitors. That viewpoint makes sense from all I've read on the issue. Verizone has fought so hard against FCC regulations that promote net neutrality. They must feel they have a lot to lose.

I haven't ever heard of anything with Verizon and Google either. To be honest it makes no sense to me. Why would people keep using Verizon if they could not access all parts of the web (not just Google)? I know I wouldn't.

Even if Verizon restricts some part of user's experience with their phones, people will still use them because they're one of the best phone providers available. They can get away with doing skeezy stuff like that because they don't have anyone telling them they can't.

I haven't heard anything about this at all. I don't use the internet on my phone all that much so I guess it would not affect me all that much but it does concern me quite a bit. I'm really curious to see what happens here.

I'm thinking this is going in the direction of tiered pricing. Streaming video services, for example, might be premium content that would be a separate charge. At least that's what I've gotten based on what I've read. I don't see this getting very far, though, because there are so many activist groups that champion the open internet.

Device(s)
    Droid2
    I hope it doesn't go very far, honestly.

I really wish companies would stop trying to pull this kind of thing. I am very disappointed in Verizon about this.

I think they will lose customers if they go ahead with it, but Mawdryn's also right - plenty of people won't switch. There's so many people that either don't understand the issue, or don't care.

Well, talk of Verizon enjoying monopoly and wanting to do things its own way. I am not amused that such would be a possibility in the smartphone era but nowadays nothing is ever impossible.

Everyone is just trying to get their piece of the internet for as much money as they can exploit it. I find it incredibly sad our society allows this to happen. The internet is a wonderful tool, just let it be!

I cannot believe that Verizon is actually doing this. Limiting stuff is not what internet freedom is about. I was actually thinking of switching to Verizon this year, but after reading this piece of information, I'm having second thoughts. I have to do some further research about their services, to see whether they will have me as their client or not...