• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about all the Android carriers here.

Photobucket

2 years for an upgrade is too long

My phones only last me about a year. No phone has ever lasted me the 2 years it takes to get a discounted upgrade with Verizon. It really bugs me. Is anybody else having trouble with this policy? I feel like I spend too much on phones.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree that it's too long. And if you have a smartphone it's really too long, because normally within that time period at least two new phones come out that are way better in graphics/speed/whatever, so your phone gets outdated fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mawdryn View Post
    I agree that it's too long. And if you have a smartphone it's really too long, because normally within that time period at least two new phones come out that are way better in graphics/speed/whatever, so your phone gets outdated fast.
    I totally agree. You get new phones coming out and you are left in the dark with your "ancient" phone. If I didn't get a new phone this year, I would probably still be stuck with a Voyager or something like that. Eek!

On the other hand, you don't have to buy the latest and greatest phone. If you phones keep breaking, that's one thing, but just because there's a slightly better phone out doesn't mean you have to buy it right away. You know? If you feel you're spending too much on phones, then maybe you are.

I know what you mean, Boomerang. That's one reason I always wait and wait. It seems like as soon as I get something, the next "newer, better, faster, lighter, etc." thing comes out. It's like no matter what, I'm going to have the antiquated version, but maybe I'll save some money by waiting for the price to drop.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    I always stick out the full 2 years because while I might be stuck with an outdated phone for a little longer,the way they are coming out with better ones every other day it would happen regardless. I doubt that my Thunderbolt will be the latest and greatest for more than a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
    On the other hand, you don't have to buy the latest and greatest phone. If you phones keep breaking, that's one thing, but just because there's a slightly better phone out doesn't mean you have to buy it right away. You know? If you feel you're spending too much on phones, then maybe you are.
    I don't really do that that though and I still think I spend too much for phones, I agree with that. I don't buy the newest phone, I usually get one that has been out for a little bit. Even when the "latest and greatest" phones come out, the prices of slightly older phones are hardly cheap.

How many smart phones actually last a full 2 years though? Mine don't. I have never had a phone that worked for the whole 2 years. Getting a new phone in less than 2 years is hardly getting the best new phone all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    How many smart phones actually last a full 2 years though? Mine don't. I have never had a phone that worked for the whole 2 years. Getting a new phone in less than 2 years is hardly getting the best new phone all the time.
    That's what I'm wondering, too. I've heard of people's phones breaking within a year after they get them, and they haven't been, like, dropping their phones from great heights or anything. I wonder why smartphones never seem to last that long?

I hardly have my phone for over a year and it bugs me that I miss out on most things as well. I have really tried with my current one that has lasted one and a half years now.

Quote Originally Posted by nashwida View Post
    I hardly have my phone for over a year and it bugs me that I miss out on most things as well. I have really tried with my current one that has lasted one and a half years now.
    Wow, one a half years is impressive. Which phone is that? I think that at the most, upgrades should be given at 18 months or so. 24 months is just too long. I'm glad it's not just me though.

I hate having a 2 year plan! I hate the cancellation fee too! It sucks! I don't buy the latest and greatest phones (ok I did this time with the Bionic). I never did before and then you are stuck with a phone that stinks and is outdated for 2 years!

I donít like the two year contract either. It bothers me to have to wait when everyone else has something new and shiny. Honestly, with the way phones come out within a year of each other, it would be more profitable to release the contract route now.

yeah, Actually I have never see such a phone upgrade over 2 years, to be honest I don't know how long upgrate your phone is the best suitable time, but 2 years is too long for me...
    three months or half a years.... I guess