• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

Talk about all the Android carriers here.

Photobucket

What's so good about 4G?

Is 4G really that much better than 3G? I thought that most areas weren't set up to even have 4G capabilities, so...what's the point of having a 4G phone if it mostly uses 3G anyway?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From what I've heard, you're right about the coverage, Boomerang. Most rural areas, for instance, don't have 4G coverage. And I don't mean just remote areas. Many smaller and medium sized towns are only equipped for 3G.

Device(s)
    xperia arc
    Android OS
    I'm in the UK and we don't have any 4G capability at all. My other half has a 4G phone, but it wasn't a factor when we bought it, it was just how it was. Most people in the UK don't even know that 4G exists. From what I've heard there are significant speed differences with data, so if you do have it, then it's fantastic but I really wouldn't see it as a necessity at the moment.

My friend works for Verizon customer service and told me that the main reason 4g users call in is because 4g isn't working for them. He said I should wait to get it until coverage is better. I really am not sure what is supposed to be better about it though. I guess it's faster?

Once it all gets worked out, 4G should be faster and cheaper. But right now, 4G seems more like an emerging technology than a stable one that's feasible for everyone to use.

Alb
    I hope the rumors that the 4G technology is about to expand worldwide in about a year are true. So far, 4G technology is hardly available at all in Europe, and is in most non-urban areas of the USA. Seriously, how long can it take them to improve this aspect?

4G is the current state of the art in mobile phones – you only need to worry if you don’t yet have a 4G phone or your carrier does not offer 4G. This is the fourth generation of wireless communication services. The newest development after 3G – most mobile phone providers offer 3G today and are adopting 4G. In fact, three national mobile phone providers currently offer 4G. It's a combination of your phone and your mobile phone provider’s network.

I now have 3 G phones, but have no 3 G card? 4 G and 3 G should be more or less.

4G is a lot better than 3G in my opinion. I agree that there may be occasional bugs with the 4G technology (as it is very new, as everyone above has pointed out), but surely you should agree that the speed is incomparably better on 4G networks.

Thank you for sharing.

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Droid 3, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi, and HP TouchPad ICS
    Android OS
    A lot more areas are starting to get 4G now.
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

I really don't know what to say, I have 3G and it works just fine, don't think I'll be needing a 4G phone to soon. They are pretty much the same thing but the coverage is really an issue so until they fix this to cover at least more than half of what 3G covers I don't see why a 4G phone would be of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
    Is 4G really that much better than 3G? I thought that most areas weren't set up to even have 4G capabilities, so...what's the point of having a 4G phone if it mostly uses 3G anyway?

Yes it is much much faster than 3g. In fact, my 4g is faster than my wifi connection in my home.
    There is a point in having a 4g phone when you only have 3g. Many of the fastest and most capable smart phones these days come with 4g capability included. I didn't get the phone because I wanted 4g, but it just happened to come with it. If I bought a phone with 3g, it likely wouldn't be as capable in other aspects as well.
    Truth be told, I had a 4g phone for 2 years before Sprint set up 4g in my area. I still loved the phone, though.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab2
    Android OS
    Android 4.1.1
    The good thing about 4g is that connection is way much faster than what you get in 3g. But the bad thing is, it's not yet available in most places. People in the city would benefit from it, but as I live in the country side, where no 4g network available yet, I couldn't care less at the moment really. My broadband internet at home is working perfectly and I don't regularly connect online when I'm out and about unless I need to.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Android OS
    Android 4.0
    I have read that 4G is a hundred times faster than 3G in which gives you less lagging on video streaming. My phone has a 3G to 4G switch ,so I can go on either network. In the city I live in I get 4G in some parts of the city only. I also have the wifi option on my android in which I use at home.