• Login:

Welcome to the Android Evolved Forums.

General android accessories talk.

Photobucket

Engraving Your Phone Or Tablet

I think a nice way to personalize your phone or tablet is by getting it engraved. I think it looks a lot nicer than adding on some of the accessories. It gives it a little more class.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Device(s)
    Motorola
    Seems like it could be a dangerous prospect, though. I can imagine it would look nice, but I think I'd rather have a *case* that is personalized than to actually etch the device.

I wouldn't do it and I don't know anyone who has. Why would you want to engrave anything into your phone? It would be like ruining it for me. Decorations and skins can be removed, engravings can't.

Engraving doesn't really appeal to me either. It's all a matter of preference, though. From my perspective, it's more fun to individualize devices with skins or other decorations. You also stand the chance of an error that you can't remove with engraving.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Android OS
    I guess I look at an engraving like I look at a tattoo, if I come across something I would not mind having on my phone for the long haul I might consider it but it isn't likely to happen.

I suppose it could be made to look pretty classy. And it might also make someone think twice before stealing it. I guess I'd have to see someone who has theirs engraved to see how I feel about that.

Device(s)
    Bionic
    Classy? I don't think so! Then again it is a matter of opinion. I would not get any electronic engraved, I think it would deface the equipment. Also if you ever decided to sell it, who would want it if it was engraved?

I don't know about a smartphone, but I wouldn't mind having my initials engraved on my tablet. I usually don't sell my gadgets, so it wouldn't be a problem as far as finding people to purchase it already engraved. I'm actually thinking about adding an extra-layer of class to my Motorola Xoom. The person who engraves such devices should be a real expert...

Device(s)
    Sony ericsson x10 mini
    I wouldn't really consider getting my phone engraved. I can vaguely remember Apple offering to engrave your iPod if you bought it directly from their website. I suppose you could do it, but only if you never planned on selling it.

There is no way I would engrave my phone or tablet. Upgrades happen too fast! Most of my gadgets are still in working condition when I decide to upgrade them. Even if I don't sell them, giving them away with my name engraved just seems tacky.

Super Moderator
    Device(s)
    Droid 3, Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi, and HP TouchPad ICS
    Android OS
    I wouldn't do it either. I normally use a case anyway.
    Don't forget that there is a thank button right below the users name under the post! Be sure to click this button when people help!_

The only two things I have ever had engraved were the Zippo light when I used to smoke (nasty habit) and a watch that I got for my better half during a holiday a few years back. Prices were not bad either but I doubt I would engrave a tablet. What happens if I want to resell it?

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I don't know about having a phone/tablet engraved, but I can see points either way. On the one hand, you used to could have your iPod engraved, if you bought it straight through the Apple website, and a phone/tablet isn't much different than an iPod. But on the other hand, most people upgrade their electronics at the first chance they get, so if you don't have any intentions of keeping the device long-term, then it's just a waste of money all the way around, because who wants something with YOUR initals on them? If, on the other hand, you don't plan to run out and buy a new tablet/phone/iPod/etc., as soon as one becomes available, and instead plan to buy just one tablet/phone/iPod/etc., and use it long term, then I see nothing wrong with having it (or anything else that you plan to keep for a while) engraved and personalized.

Device(s)
    Sony xperia
    Android OS
    ice cream sandwhich
    it would be better to just have it painted..haha

I think I would engrave a pocket watch but I doubt I would a phone. How much are the prices to do this and what happens in two years when you get a new phone? Then unless you find someone to buy the old one who wants the engraved piece its not really something you can sell, is it?

Device(s)
    motorola xoom 2
    Android OS
    honeycomb
    I'd never engrave my phone. I like things to look original for as long as possible. Well, I do scratch it from time to time, especially when it's in my pocket along with my keys so I guess it's "almost" engraved anyway.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note @
    I don't think I would feel comfortable allowing an engraver that close to my phone. What happens if they crack the case or shake something loose inside the phone or tablet? Are they responsible for the damage? I would hazard a guess that it would void your warranty.